Many small to medium sized businesses avoid strategic business planning because they perceive it as too complex. Yet, in essence, it is no more complex than planning a holiday – where you work out where you want to go, how you are going to get there and what you will do while your there. Admittedly, there is complexity at the back-end when you get into the detail, but that is mainly mechanical and can be delegated, or outsourced. The most important part is the upfront, critical thinking and decision making.
Unfortunately, even though there are generic approaches to strategic planning, there is no such thing as a generic, or “off the shelf” strategic business plan. Each plan is personal to the business and the owners. The best plans mostly arise from exploiting a competitive or strategic advantage.
As in many endeavours, with strategic business planning it helps to have someone to guide you through the process. VMG Capital have helped many businesses develop and implement effective and successful strategic plans. Starting with the unique VMG diagnostic tool which examines every part of your business and provides an overall rating score out of 10, VMG Capital will pin-point areas of concern and focus your mind on moving forward.
VMG will also work with you to help put the plan into action.
Consider the following questions:
- Do you have a clear, strategic focus covering the next 3 to 5 years?
- Can you clearly articulate your strategic or competitive advantage?
- Can you clearly articulate your competitors’ strategic or competitive advantage?
- Do you think your business is performing at the peak of its potential?
- Are you comfortable leaving the future of your business to chance?
If you answered “no” to any of these questions, then we need to talk.